Saturday, October 28, 2006

Last Thanksgiving, I raided my mom's closet.

Now, to give you a little background, you should know that my little sister constantly "borrows" things from my mom because she's in college and is back at home a bunch. My mom is something of a packrat, which means she hangs onto clothes forever. To boot, she has a flair for fashion and most of her stuff is really timeless. In other words, it's a rare treat for me to dig through her closet. One of the things I pulled out was this fantastic trenchcoat that was in perfect condition. A basic, belted trench, double-breasted. Mom said she got it in the early '80s. I tried it on, and it was really perfect. So, I swiped it. Obviously.

Well, I didn't end up wearing it last year because it had these shoulder button-strap things, which are meant to hold up the sleeves if you roll them up. You might know what I'm talking about. Really more function than fashion. Well, last week, I got to looking at the trench, and realized that the straps were sewn on externally, and it would be a snap to remove them. So I did. Obviously.

With the cooler, blustery weather, I've been wearing the trench almost daily, in the mornings especially. I love the feeling I get from it. Just knowing my mom wore it more than twenty years ago gives me this strong sense of connection to her. I also found a ticket in one pocket from a jazz concert that my little sister went to. Which means that at some point, she stole it, too. How I managed to get it in the end, I'm not sure. But I plan to keep it. Obviously.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so, if you don't give the ticket back, is that considered entrenchment? or was the ticket entrenched and emily wants retrenchment? or perhaps is this retention on the retrenchment? i am certain there must be a sparse but exactly relevant phrase here ...

obviously.

:-)

amy said...

Brad--
You always make me smile with your little wordles.

Em--
Yes, if you REALLY want your ticket back, you can have it at Thanksgiving. I can keep it safe until then. But you can't have the trenchcoat back, so don't even think about asking. And no, I won't play bocce ball with you for it, but I would play a game with you just for fun. Or, alternately, we can each bring other prizes to encorporate, just not trenchcoats.

Related Posts with Thumbnails