Sunday, October 04, 2009

The back of the Reese's Puffs box inspired me to make a list.

I love lists, anyway, so it wasn't that much of a stretch for me.
The box has a list of "18 Things to Do Before You're 18."

The list, verbatim:
1. Ride the world's biggest rollercoaster.

2. Bungee jump.

3. Score the winning goal/basket. (Never happened for me, and never will. It's OK that I suck at sports.)

4. Win an award, trophy, or prize.

5. Learn an instrument. (eh... overrated)

6. Go backstage at a gig. (Just be sure to watch your drink the whole time.)

7. Meet your idol.

8. Play a part in your favorite TV show. (How exactly do they expect the young'uns to manage this one?)

9. Meet someone with your own name. (Lame.)

10. Make a discovery. (See note by #8.)

11. Get away with the perfect practical joke.

12. Own a pointless collection.

13. Invent a word that makes it into the dictionary. (Once again, see note by #8.)

14. Conquer your biggest fear.

15. Raise money for charity.

16. Pass your driving test the first time. (Sort of too late for me on this one.)

17. Complete a road trip coast to coast. (Uh. Really? See notes by #6 and #8.)

18. Reach 18 years of age -- yes!!!
(Under #18, it actually says-- a direct quote: "Embrace old age." WHAT?!)

Since I'm the ripe old age of 32, I decided to make my own list of 40 Things to Do Before I'm 40.
But as I was making the list, I realized, it was way too long.
Let's focus. Let's narrow.
So here are the 4 Things to Do Before I'm 40.

1. Get a literary agent.

2. Publish my novel.

3. Go on a book tour.

4. Get healthy/lower my body mass index.

All of those things are totally possible. Maybe even probable. I think first I'll work simultaneously on the health/BMI thing and the getting an agent thing.

I hope that soon I'll be able to say: Done, and done.

5 comments:

Kendi Lea said...

dear precious friend,

thank you for not finishing your bowl of reeses puffs this morning and sacrificing your time with joel mchale to go to Santa Rita's.

Also, I did not pass my driving test on the first try but I did make a discovery, i was on a tv show and i made a cross country road trip...twice, on foot (since i didnt pass my driving test). so I think I passed the reese's cereal cool test.

amy said...

You most certainly passed the Reese's cereal cool test. I knew that before I even read the box!

amy said...

Hey everyone-- GOOD NEWS. I'm only 31. So, I think I mixed up Nathan's age with my age.
Sorry about that! Today at my annual check-up, the nurse totally corrected me on it. I'm pretty sure she's laughing about it with her friends over drinks right about now.

Anonymous said...

I get confused about how old I am all the time. P.S. I miss your writing. Blog again soon?

amy said...

Thanks, Kathryn! I will definitely blog soon-- Maybe even tomorrow.

Related Posts with Thumbnails