Tuesday, July 20, 2010

When my friend Kendi sent me a link to this cool poet, Austin Kleon,

I took one look at his website and saw this:

Foreign Language Requirement


And I'm not going to lie. At first, I didn't get it.
I thought he had cut out little words (like magnetic poetry) and glued them on a black background, you guys. Then I read the blurb by NPR Morning Edition: Instead of starting with a blank page, poet Austin Kleon grabs a newspaper and a permanent marker and eliminates the words he doesn’t need. Which is where I laughed really hard at myself.

This guy is genius!
Here are a couple of my favorites:

The End of My Imagination


Art in Search of Eyeballs


Anything Goes

Brilliant, right?

You can read more about his unique approach to writing poetry on his blog and follow him on Twitter.

P.S. When I saw that Austin is FROM Austin, it made me so proud of our little arty city. He gives talks/does booksignings at museums/galleries/bookstores and many of them have been in Austin so I'll keep my eyes open for upcoming events in this area and will post here, because inquiring (and art-lovin) minds want to know.

4 comments:

some chick said...

OK, that's cool.

amy said...

Yes! I love it and secretly wish I'd thought of it first. I'm curious to try making a poem like this, to see if it's as challenging as I think it might be.

Austin Eavesdropper said...

AH! Love!! Amy, I'll go with you. I read about this guy in The Chronicle once, and have always wanted to see him do his thing (readings and whatnot) in person.

amy said...

Tolly-- Would love to!

Related Posts with Thumbnails