Monday, April 05, 2010

I don't take naps every day.

Let's say one out of every three or four days? It's not a bad ratio.


Today, it was getting late, nearly 6:00, and I thought that I might have missed my napping window. Then I was like... wait a second! There IS no window.



I fully believe napping is a right, not a privilege.


On the subject of sleeping (how's that for a transition?) I discovered this app not long ago.  You set it for the latest time you can wake up, and then it detects (based on your movements) your lightest stage of sleep and wakes you up within a 30 minute window.  It's kind of spooky how well it works.  It totally solves the problem of feeling groggy when your alarm goes off.
One caveat: if you have kids or dogs (we have schnauzers) who might wake you up before your alarm goes off, your iphone may think you're in a light stage of sleep, when you're really just dealing with your dogs, or kids or vermicomposting bin or whatever the case may be. 

Whether you enjoy napping, sleeping in or going to bed early, good sleep is a beautiful thing. 


To think, in the olden days, a nap for a working woman looked something like this: 

 
Turn-of-the-century artist Julian Dupre says so much in this woman's expression.  Maybe she's saying to herself, "It's been too long since my last mani-pedi." Or even, "Thank god my DVR is recording Bravo right about now." The interpretation is entirely up to the viewer. That's what I love about art. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Sleep Cycle! I've been using it for a few weeks now, and it's pretty magical. I didn't think it would really work, but it so does.

I love a good power nap like nothing else, but I AM a believer in the window. Post-5pm is a no-go for me. Glad it worked out for you, though. :)

amy said...

@cristin-- It's pretty kooky, huh? I had to try to it to try it for myself to believe it. Now I tell tons of people about it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails